The molarity calculator is a useful tool which allows you to calculate the:
- mass of a compound required to prepare a solution of known volume and concentration
- volume of solution required to dissolve a compound of known mass to a desired concentration
- concentration of a solution resulting from a known mass of compound in a specific volume
The molarity calculator equation
The molarity calculator is based on the following equation:
Mass (g) = Concentration (mol/L) x Volume (L) x Molecular Weight (g/mol)
An example of a molarity calculation using the molarity calculator
What is the mass of compound required to make a 10 mM stock solution in 10 ml of water given that the molecular weight of the compound is 197.13 g/mol?
- Enter 197.13 into the Molecular Weight (MW) box
- Enter 10 into the Concentration box and select the correct unit (millimolar)
- Enter 10 into the Volume box and select the correct unit (milliliter).
- Press calculate
- The answer of 19.713 mg appears in the Mass box